view of Salandra, Matera, Basilicata, Italy ..........photo by Antonio DiPersia

Friday, September 27, 2013

Marriages & Families - Vito Ambruso and Anna Gervasio

Wedding Photo of Vito Ambruso and Anna Gervasio - 1940
Vito Ambruso was the youngest child of Giuseppe Ambruso and Maria DiDio.  He was born in Philadelphia in 1907.  His given name was Vito, not Davito, but most of his friends and relatives called him “David”.  It is said that his teacher in school started calling him David and it stuck.  Like his older siblings, he worked on farms in southern New Jersey when he was young.   By 1930, at 23 years of age, he was working as a barber, a profession he stayed with for the rest of his life.
 
In 1940 Vito married Anna Ida Gervasio.  Anna was born in 1918 in Philadelphia.  Their only child was a girl they named Kathleen.  She was born in May of 1943.  In September of 1943, when Kathleen was 4 months old, Vito joined the Army to fight in World War 2.  He was discharged in 1945.  In 1953, the family moved to Delaware Township, New Jersey, which was later renamed Cherry Hill.  Vito passed away in Maple Shade, NJ in 1989.  Anna passed away in 1996.



4 comments:

  1. Is this Anna Gervasio the sister of Louis Gervasio?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cheryl,
    I do not know if Anna was Loius' sister. I do know that Anna parents were Dominic Gervasio and Angelina Pagnotti. Sorry I couldn't be of more help.
    John

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Cheryl, yes this is the sister of Louis Gervasio as well. This is Anna my grandmother. I am the grandson of Dave(Vito) & Anna, 2nd son of their daughter Kathleen. I currently live downstairs in Brigantine, NJ from my I guess great cousin Gale Gervasio, daughter of Anthony & Delores.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Still loving this blog. I miss my grandparents. Mom and dad just passed as well. Keep up the great work.

    ReplyDelete